Bible Study: Proverbs 15 Pt 1

Wednesday, July 9, 2026 

Bible Study: Proverbs Chapter 15 – The Power of Words and a Heart That Fears the Lord

We talked about the fear of the Lord as the true foundation, the importance of integrity, and how our daily choices either strengthen or weaken the “house” of our lives.
Tonight in Proverbs 15, Solomon continues with more practical wisdom, but the emphasis shifts strongly to our words, our hearts, and how we respond to others.
This chapter is full of short, memorable sayings about the power of a soft answer, the danger of a harsh tongue, and the deep connection between what is in our hearts and what comes out of our mouths.
Let me ask you:
If the people closest to you could only judge your spiritual life by the words you spoke this past week, what would they conclude?
Think about that as we continue with this study tonight.
These proverbs are simple, but they are not easy.
They call us to examine both our speech and the condition of our hearts.
Before we get into this study I would like to tell you that I really enjoy when you share your thoughts and experiences. Just like the last couple of weeks.
It’s been pretty awesome!
Especially when you see how these wise Proverbs apply to your lives.
So, if you want to share, please do so.
Also, as we’ve noticed, many of these verses are very self-explanatory. Others, I want to dig into deeper.
But of course, if you want to highlight any of these, we’ll do it!
Let’s go:
Section 1: Verses 1–7 — Soft Answers and the Power of Words
Proverbs 15:1-7 (CSB) ​1 A gentle answer turns away anger, but a harsh word stirs up wrath.
Solomon begins with one of the most practical proverbs in the entire book: a gentle answer turns away anger. Our words can either calm a storm or pour gasoline on a fire.
Can you think of an old saying that pretty much sums up this proverb?
How about: “you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.”
Whenever I read or hear this Proverb I think of a time when I was a Warden. I had an officer do something really dumb. It made the situation worse and it was embarrassing for me to have to explain what happened to my supervisor.
I decided that I was going to handle the “chewing out” myself. I was pretty good at that, so I was really going to let him have it.
So, I called him to my office. Everyone knows that feeling right?
Getting called to the office is not usually a good thing.
I was going to let that feeling last a bit as I made him wait for several minutes outside before I called him in.
Finally, I called him in and before I could begin my speech, he just looked at me and said, “Boss, I messed up. I did a really stupid thing. I don’t know what I was thinking. I’m sorry I embarrassed myself, the Institution and most importantly, you. I’m so sorry.”
At that moment, I was actually speechless, something that doesn’t happen too often.
What could I say? He took all the wind out of my sails!
Isn't it amazing? I walked into that conversation ready for a fight, but humility and gentleness ended it before it ever began.
It was this verse in real life.
2 The tongue of the wise makes knowledge attractive, but the mouth of fools blurts out foolishness.
3 The eyes of the LORD are everywhere, observing the wicked and the good.
We’ve talked about this theme many times before and I suspect I’ll be talking about it many more times.
Just last Sunday, in Sunday school, Brother Phil was teaching about Jonah and how he tried to run away from God.
That is just simply impossible!
There is no place that God isn’t already there.
We ought to keep this in mind in our everyday actions. Especially when we think no one is watching.
Because there never really is a time when nobody is watching.
For the believer, this isn't just a warning that God sees our sin.
It's also a comfort because God sees every tear, every struggle, every act of faithfulness that nobody else notices.
4 The tongue that heals is a tree of life, but a devious tongue breaks the spirit.
I see this verse as very similar to verse 1.
We’ve talked about what Paul said in Ephesians 4:29 (CSB) 29 No foul language should come from your mouth, but only what is good for building up someone in need, so that it gives grace to those who hear.
Can you remember someone whose words encouraged you at exactly the right moment?
If those of us who call ourselves Christians actually applied this verse to our lives, it would change the world. Don’t you think?
5 A fool despises his father’s discipline, but a person who accepts correction is sensible.
Once again, Solomon is reminding us about being able to listen to correction.
Having a teachable spirit.
It doesn’t matter how old we are, we can always learn.
If we ever think we've learned everything, that's probably proof we haven't.
I suppose this is also a matter of not letting pride affect our lives.
6 The house of the righteous has great wealth, but trouble accompanies the income of the wicked.
7 The lips of the wise broadcast knowledge, but not so the heart of fools.
Notice the contrast. Wise people naturally spread truth wherever they go. Foolish people spread whatever happens to be in their hearts.
Eventually, our mouths reveal what's living inside us.
Supporting Scripture:
These first 7 verses are very similar to what we talked about last Sunday in our study of the book of James. Particularly James 1:19-20 (CSB) My dear brothers and sisters, understand this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to anger, for human anger does not accomplish God’s righteousness.
Discussion Questions:
  • Why is a gentle answer so powerful?
  • How have you seen a soft response change a tense situation?
  • What does this section teach us about the connection between our words and the condition of our heart?
Application:
The next time you're in a difficult conversation, before you answer, hit the pause button. Ask yourself, 'Will these words pour water on the fire—or gasoline?' Then choose the gentle answer."
Perhaps you’ve noticed that these verses aren't really just about speech.
They're about self-control.
A gentle answer...
Accepting correction...
Choosing healing words...
Speaking wisdom...
All require surrendering our natural reactions.
That fits perfectly with what the New Testament calls the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23). Do you remember what that fruit is:
  • Love
  • Joy
  • Peace
  • Patience
  • Kindness
  • Goodness
  • Faithfulness
  • Gentleness
  • Self-control
The truth is that our tongues don't change simply through willpower—they change as the Holy Spirit changes our hearts.
Are you letting the Spirit fill you everyday?
~~~~
Section 2: Verses 8–17 — The Heart That God Sees
Proverbs 15:8-17 (CSB) 8 The sacrifice of the wicked is detestable to the LORD, but the prayer of the upright is his delight.
I take this verse as a great warning to casual Christianity.
Do you know what I mean by casual Christianity?
A casual Christian is a person who identifies as a Christian but has low commitment, practices faith in moderation, and does not let religion heavily disrupt their daily comfort or lifestyle.
This attitude is easy to see:
  • Low Involvement: Going to church or reading the Bible only when it is convenient or fits a personal schedule.
  • Cultural Faith: Treating Christianity more as a family tradition, social label, or background identity rather than a core life dedication.
  • Crisis Prayer: Praying mostly during hard times rather than maintaining a steady, daily habit of communication with God.
  • Moral Comfort: Avoiding strict personal sacrifice, deep scriptural study, or public defense of difficult religious values.
A casual approach to Christianity should cause us to examine ourselves. Genuine faith changes a person's priorities.
None of us lives perfectly, but if following Christ never affects the way we live, we ought to ask ourselves some hard questions.
Throughout the history of ancient Israel, they continued with their sacrifices and feasts and tithes, yet their hearts were far from God.
Listen to a couple of these passages from the O/T:
1 Samuel 15:22 (CSB) 22 Then Samuel said: Does the LORD take pleasure in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the LORD? Look: to obey is better than sacrifice, to pay attention is better than the fat of rams.
Isaiah 1:11-15 (CSB) 11 “What are all your sacrifices to me? ” asks the LORD. “I have had enough of burnt offerings and rams and the fat of well-fed cattle; I have no desire for the blood of bulls, lambs, or male goats. 12 When you come to appear before me, who requires this from you — this trampling of my courts? 13 Stop bringing useless offerings. Your incense is detestable to me. New Moons and Sabbaths, and the calling of solemn assemblies — I cannot stand iniquity with a festival. 14 I hate your New Moons and prescribed festivals. They have become a burden to me; I am tired of putting up with them. 15 When you spread out your hands in prayer, I will refuse to look at you; even if you offer countless prayers, I will not listen. Your hands are covered with blood.
OUCH!
9 The LORD detests the way of the wicked, but he loves the one who pursues righteousness.
This verse is directly related to the previous one.
God does not simply hate wickedness in the abstract; He opposes the wicked way of life.
Notice that it doesn’t say that He hates the wicked person.
He hates their ways.
The wonderful news of the gospel is that He also calls sinners to repent and pursue righteousness.
John 3:16 (CSB) 16 For God loved the world in this way: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.
Why would anyone want to do things that are hated by God almighty?
I want to remain someone that God loves as I pursue His righteousness.
10 Discipline is harsh for the one who leaves the path; the one who hates correction will die.
11 Sheol and Abaddon lie open before the LORD — how much more, human hearts.
Do you understand what Solomon is telling us here?
  • Sheol and Abaddon: These words mean the grave, the deep pit, or the dark realm of the dead that humans cannot see or understand.
  • Lie open before the Lord: Even the most hidden, distant, and mysterious place of death is completely visible and clear to God.
  • How much more, human hearts: If God can see into the darkest place of death, He can easily see the secret thoughts, motives, and feelings inside living people.
This can be both terrifying and a great blessing.
Terrifying if you are not doing right.
A great blessing if you are walking in the Spirit.
12 A mocker doesn’t love one who corrects him; he will not consult the wise.
13 A joyful heart makes a face cheerful, but a sad heart produces a broken spirit.
14 A discerning mind seeks knowledge, but the mouth of fools feeds on foolishness.
15 All the days of the oppressed are miserable, but a cheerful heart has a continual feast.
As I studied this verse my first thought was of Paul in Philippians 4:11-13 (CSB) 11 I don’t say this out of need, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I find myself. 12 I know how to make do with little, and I know how to make do with a lot. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being content ​— ​whether well fed or hungry, whether in abundance or in need. 13 I am able to do all things through him who strengthens me.
16 Better a little with the fear of the LORD than great treasure with turmoil.
This verse is also related to the previous one.
Think about it.
Solomon isn't saying that having money is evil. He's saying peace with God is worth more than possessions without Him.
Contentment isn't pretending everything is wonderful.
Contentment is learning that Christ is enough even when circumstances aren't.
17 Better a meal of vegetables where there is love than a fattened ox with hatred.
Have you ever thought about what this verse means?
A "meal of vegetables" (or a dinner of herbs) was a basic, inexpensive meal for poor people in ancient times.
A "fattened ox" was a costly luxury reserved only for grand feasts or the very rich.
This verse teaches that the real value of a home is not what is on the dining table, but how the people treat each other.
Eating the finest meat while fighting or hating one another turns a meal into a painful experience, ruining any joy that money could buy.
Have you ever been in a home where everything looked beautiful, but you couldn't wait to leave because of the tension?
By contrast, have you ever gone to someone’s home and they didn’t have much, but there was laughter and kindness and engagement with everyone there?
Which home would you rather visit?
~~~~
This section of this chapter can be summed up like this:
God sees the heart. Outward religion means nothing if the heart is not right. A cheerful heart and the fear of the Lord are better than great riches.
This section also includes the theme of contentment, do you see it?
Supporting Scripture:
1 Samuel 16:7 (CSB) Humans do not see what the Lord sees, for humans see what is visible, but the Lord sees the heart.
Illustration:
Two houses that look identical from the street. One has a solid foundation and a warm, loving family inside. The other looks nice on the outside but is full of conflict and emptiness. God sees past the outside.
As I studied this section, I realized Solomon keeps contrasting what people can see with what only God can see.
People see...
  • sacrifices
  • wealth
  • expensive meals
  • outward success
God sees...
  • motives
  • prayer
  • contentment
  • love
  • the fear of the Lord
Discussion Questions:
  • Why does God care more about the heart than outward religious activity?
  • How can a cheerful heart be a continual feast even when circumstances are hard?
  • What does this section teach us about true contentment?
  • If God examined your heart instead of your appearance, what would He find growing there?
Application:
Ask the Lord to search your heart regularly. Choose contentment and the fear of the Lord over the pursuit of more “stuff.”

No comments:

Post a Comment